Food Safety and Control: Outline
Southend Borough Council employs Environmental Health Officers (and Assistants) that have specialist qualifications to enable them to inspect foods and food premises. These officers work within the Team called Regulatory Services.
They can investigate complaints about food, about places where food is sold and they can give advice about food safety in the home.
All food premises are subject to planned inspections for food safety and for standards (i.e. labelling, composition etc. requirements). Ratings under the Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme (FHRS) for food businesses within the Borough of Southend are listed by the Food Standards Agency click here.
Our food specialist officers deal with the following matters.
- Food Safety (problems with food and food premises, or general advice)
- Food Standards (food labelling and food composition problems)
- Health & Safety at Work (preventing accidents etc.) in food premises
- Noise from equipment, smell, rubbish or pest problems etc. from food premises
- Animal by-products (proper disposal of waste from food animals)
- Animal Health (e.g. control of Avian Flu, Foot & Mouth, Rabies etc.)
Contact: Environmental Health, Trading Standards & Licensing
Telephone: 01702 215005Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS2 6ER