Under the Essex Act 1987, you need a licence for any property where the following treatments are offered:
- massage or chiropody
- electric treatment, radiant heat, light (including UV) or electric vapour treatment
- laser treatment
- sauna or other baths for therapeutic treatments
- or any similar treatment.
Conditions of the Licence
- You must be 21 years old or older.
- You will need to have a police record check (spent convictions are not taken into account).
- You must follow the Schedule of Conditions so that the licence issued remains valid. You can find this in the related downloads section.
- You must pay the fee for the application in full.
- This licence will run from the 1st April to the 31st March the following year.
- If your property offers massage or special treatment without a licence you will be guilty of an offence and may be charged with a fine not exceeding Level 4 on the standard scale. Essex Act 1987, Section 18(1)(a).
- If you issue, publish or display an advertisement relating to a company for massage or special treatment that is not licensed, you will be guilty of an offence and may have to pay a fine of up to £1000 and a daily fine of up to £40.
You may not need a licence if:
- you hold medical qualifications or membership (e.g. osteopaths or physiotherapist)
- you only offer face or scalp massage
- the premises is a registered hospital or nursing home.
Please check with us for more precise exemptions.