Licence Directory - Performing Animals

Record Details

Performing Permits

You will need to register with us if you keep or train animals for public performance or exhibition such as:

  • circus
  • television
  • theatre
  • film production
  • animal contact

You don’t need to register if you train or exhibit animals for use by the military, police or for agriculture or sport. You only need to register once and the certificate will be valid until cancelled by you or us (or revoked by the Court). The Register is a public document and is open for inspection at reasonable times at the Council Offices. What happens once I have applied?

You will be visited by us and/or by a Veterinary Surgeon to inspect the conditions that the animals are to be kept and/or trained. Your registration will only be confirmed once animal welfare conditions have been met. To vary the registration certificate you will need to contact us. Your premises will be subject to ‘spot checks’ by us and/or a Veterinary Surgeon.

For more information about The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 please view the National Archives website.

Performing Animals on Council Land

It is our current policy to not allow circuses which include performing animals on council land.

Application Form

Performing Animals Licence Application Form

Price Guide

Licensing Fees and Charges