Types of Licence:
- Hackney Carriage (Taxi) is a vehicle that can use the ranks, be flagged down or obtain bookings by telephone from a radio control
- Hackney Carriage (Private Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence) vehicles are not permitted to use the ranks and cannot pick up a member of the public by being flagged down. All fares have to be pre-booked normally by telephone
- Private Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence Restricted is the same as a Private Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence and requires the same forms, but does not require a Topography Test. This licence is for individuals that wish to carry out airport runs, theatre nights and general out of town bookings
- Operators Licence for Fleet Vehicles Companies that run a fleet of vehicles and wish to take private bookings (i.e. airport and theatre runs) you must have a Private Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence
Requirements for Hackney Carriage (Taxi) and Private Hire Car Drivers Licence applications:
- You must be over 21 year of age and have held a UK or E.U. licence for three years
- You will have to pay for a Group 2 Medical examination with your own GP
- You will need to take a Topography Test (knowledge of roads, streets and routes) and a Driving Test
- We require that a police check be carried out through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- We require three references
When all these forms are completed they are to be returned with the relevant fee. An appointment must be made with the Hackney Carriage office for an informal interview.
Once you have received your driver’s licence you must apply for your vehicle to be licensed. Application for vehicle licence Once you are licensed, you can apply for your vehicle to be licensed. The vehicle will be tested at an appointed garage where the Hackney Carriage Officer will also attend.