Severe Weather Information and Advice
- We encourage residents to be prepared and take extra care during severe weather particularly when travelling.
- Please check before travelling the latest road and rail updates, as there may be disruption and extended journey times may be experienced. Residents can check for the latest traffic updates by listening to local radio stations.
- Residents are advised to travel with caution – if you encounter standing water from severe weather, please drive with care and slow down, particularly as the wash from vehicles travelling through water can flood adjacent properties or cause other vehicles to stall. Your own brakes may also be adversely affected.
Secure Homes and Property and check on vulnerable neighbours
- We advise residents to take appropriate steps to secure their homes and property against the weather if it becomes more severe.
- It is also vitally important to check on vulnerable neighbours, especially if they are elderly or infirm.
- Residents and businesses should contact the Emergency Services if there is danger to life. The Councils Out-of-Hours number – 01702 215000 should be used during severe weather if there are public safety issues.
- If residents and businesses are in an area where flooding has happened in the past, they are advised to keep abreast of the current weather forecasts and log on to the website www.metoffice.gov.uk for the weather warnings for Southend-on-Sea.
You can find out more information about protecting your property and the Southend Flood Partnership in our flooding section of the website.
You can find out more about adverse weather, gritting and snow clearance in our parking travel and roads section of the website.
For further information and advice, please visit the following websites:
- Environment Agency- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31624.aspx
- Met Office - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
- UK Power Networks – power cuts - http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/power-cuts/
- Essex Resilience Forum – http://www.essexprepared.co.uk/
- Anglian Water - http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/water-recycling-services/flooding-advice.aspx
- National Flood Forum - http://www.nationalfloodforum.org.uk/
Local Radio Stations
Medical advice and assistance
- If medical assistance is required residents are advised to please contact their GP or call 111. You can also visit NHS Choices – www.nhs.uk
- If urgent medical attention is needed then please telephone 999 immediately.
Page last updated: 22/06/2017