Gambling and Lottery Licences
Gambling Types of Licence
Under the Gambling Act 2005 there are three types of licences that are required to run facilities for gambling.
An Operators Licence
Required by individuals or companies who intend to provide facilities for gambling. This is granted by the Gambling Commission.
A Personal Licence
Required by the directors/managers (Personal Management Licence) and by those performing operational functions e.g. croupiers (Personal Functional Licence). All Personal Licences are granted by the Gambling Commission.
A Premises Licence
This is issued by us for all premises within the Borough, and is required for the premises where the gambling will take place. Licences last indefinitely and an annual fee will be payable.
The following premises will require a Premises Licence: -
- Bingo Premises
- Betting Premises, including Tracks
- Adult Gaming Centre (AGC)
- Family Entertainment Centre (FEC)
A number of permits are granted under the Act and we will be responsible for issuing permits for: -
- Gaming Machines on alcohol-licensed premises
- Gaming machines for members clubs
- Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (Category D machines only)
- Prize Gaming
- Small Society Lottery Registrations
The Licensing Authority, (Southend Borough Council) will also: -
- Grant Temporary Use Notices (TUNs)
- Grant Occasional Use Notices (OUNs)
- Grant provisional statements (for premises not yet built)
- Keep a register of all licences, permits, notices and registrations
The Licensing Authority is responsible for: -
- The monitoring and enforcement of the authorisations they issue.
- Setting fees within bands.
The Magistrates will hear any Premises Licence appeals.
In dealing with Gambling Act applications we will follow their Statement of Policy, a copy of which can be found on this website. This policy will be reviewed every three years. The Council will also abide by the Gambling Commission Code of Practice.
Last updated: 15th October 2013
Environmental Health & Trading Standards
Tel: 01702 215005