Community and Living
Key information and intelligence about Southend residents and communities including population estimates and forecasts, census information, and the Index of Multiple Deprivation
- The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimates the total population for Southend on sea as at mid-2012 is 174,838. Southend's population is projected to grow to 185,000 by 2020. (Source: ONS - 2012 Mid-Year Estimates).
- The proportion of the population aged 65 and over is 17.8% (30,798). Belfairs ward has the highest proportion of it residents aged 65 and over within the borough with 26.9%.
- This compares to 8.9% for Westborough which has the lowest proportion aged 65 and over in Southend. (Source: ONS - 2011 Census.
- By 2020 the projected proportion of the population aged 65 and over will be 19.7%, this equates to 36,400 people (Source: Projecting Older People Population Information website).
- The number of births in Southend between 2009-11 increased 3.8% on the figures for the previous three years (2006-08). (Source: ONS - Birth Summary Tables).
- 29.9% of Lower Super Output Areas (LSOA) in Southend are classified as falling within the 30% most deprived area's in the country, using ONS population figures this equates to just over 55,000 residents. Southend also has 8.4% of LSOA's (just over 16,000 residents) that fall within the 10% most deprived in the country. (Source: Communities and Local Government - 2010 Indices Multiple Deprivation).
- Westborough is the most densely populated ward in Southend with an estimated 11,905 people per km2. This compares to an estimated 4,187 per km2 for Southend as a whole. (Source: ONS - 2011 Census).
- The top six non-English languages spoken in Southend are: Polish, Chinese, Bengali, Shona, Czech and Tagalog/Filipino.(Source: ONS 2011 Census).
- According to the 2011 Census 87% of residents in Southend classify themselves as white-British. This compares to 79.8% for the whole of England.(Source: ONS - 2011 Census).
Last updated: 19th July 2013
General Enquiries & Out of Hours Service
Tel: 01702 215000