Hackney Carriage (Taxi)
A brief description of the above is a vehicle that is permitted to ply for hire (be flagged down) within the Borough of Southend-on-Sea. They may use the ranks, be flagged down or obtain bookings by telephone from a radio control. Please see the paragraph below headed 'Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence' for further details.
The applicant requires a licence if he/she wishes to drive a Hackney Carriage.
- To obtain a Hackney Carriage drivers licence the driver must be over 21 year of age and have held a UK or E.U. licence for three years.
- Application form [HC3] is to be completed, ensuring that the conditions are read on the reverse of the form.
- Form [HC4] is to be completed by the company or proprietor of vehicle that he/she wishes to drive for.
- At the applicant's own expense, he/she will have to undergo a Group 2 Medical examination with his own GP. (See Medical Report)
- We require that a police check be carried out through the Criminal Record Bureau. This is called a Disclosure. If the applicant is aware of a conviction that he may have that is not 'spent' he will be unable to apply. The CRB form is to be completed following the instructions in Disclosure Guide. A Medical Report form/CRB form/Disclosure Guide will be issued once a completed application has been received.
- The applicant will be requested to undertake Topography Test (knowledge of roads, streets and routes) and Driving Test.
- We require three references.
When all the forms are completed they are to be returned with the relevant fee. An appointment must be made with the Hackney Carriage office for an informal interview, collection of forms and confirmation of identify, as instructed in the Disclosure Guide page 1, please contact Trading Standards for a copy.
Last updated: 26th July 2010