Birth Certificate Requests
If you have been adopted we won’t be able to give you a duplicate birth certificate. Adoption records are held by the Registrar General (for people adopted after 1st January 1927).
To apply for your adoption certificate you should contact GRO adoptions at the General Register Office.
Where Birth Records are Held
Birth records held at the Civic Centre:
- births that took place in Southend-on-Sea (including Southend, Prittlewell, Thorpe Bay, Westcliff-on-Sea, Leigh-on-Sea and Eastwood) from 1837 to the present.
- births that took place in Castle Point and Rochford (including Rochford, Great Wakering, Hadleigh, Thundersley, Benfleet, Canvey Island and Rayleigh) from 1st April 1974 - 31st March 1998.
Birth records held in the district of Castle Point and Rochford:
- Castle Point and Rochford births that took place before 1st April 1974 or after 31st March 1998.
Birth records held in the district of Thurrock:
- Hadleigh, Benfleet, Thundersley or Canvey Island births that took place between 1st July 1948 to 30th September 1961.
- If you were born at Rochford Hospital on 21st June 1953 you would need to apply to Castle Point and Rochford.
- If you were born at Rochford Hospital on 9th September 1976 you can apply to Southend.
- If you were born at home on Canvey Island on 25th December 1960 you would need to apply to Thurrock.
If the registration took place at a location outside of those listed please contact the General Register Office.
Page last updated: 01/06/2017