Entitlement to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Can I Claim Benefit?
You can make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction if:
- you pay rent to a private landlord, housing association, or a council property. NOTE you cannot claim Housing Benefit if you rent from close relatives that lives in the same property as you or the landlord also lives in the same property as you
- you have to pay Council Tax on your home. But if you live in a property that is band E or higher you will only receive a payment up to the amount for a band D property
- your savings are less than £16,000 for Housing Benefit and £6000 for Council Tax Reduction applications
- you work full time or part time (employed or self employed) and receive a low wage
- you are in receipt of benefits or tax credits managed by the Department for Work and Pensions, the Inland Revenue or any other low income.
The rules on claiming Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction for Self Employed People, Students, People from Abroad and people who have savings are different to those who are in receipt of benefit or pensions.
There are also different rules for people who have adult children or adults who are not boarders/lodgers or joint tenants. Further information on all of the above circumstances can be found in Related Downloads within the Entitlement section.
How much Benefit could I get?
The amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you receive is based on the amount of income and capital you have. The more you have the less you get. Not all income is used. The following is ignored:
- Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Maintenance for children
- Child Benefit.
When we work out your benefit we take account of the following details.
- How much money you have coming in each week.
- How much you have in savings and investments.
- Who lives in your household and their circumstances.
- How much rent and council tax you have to pay.
- Whether you are of pension age or working age (Council Tax Reduction only).
- How many rooms you need for your household (Housing Benefit only).
To find out a rough idea of how much benefit you could receive use the Benefits Advisor Tool. This will help you to find out which benefits/pensions/tax credits you and your family may be entitled to.
For more information about benefit entitlement, room allowance for Housing Association properties/Council properties/Privately renting properties and the Local Housing Allowance rates (for privately renting) please see our leaflet titled 'Applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction'. This can be found in the Related Downloads within the Claiming Benefit section.
Last updated: 24th October 2013
Further pages in Entitlement to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
- You are here Can I Claim Benefit?
- Bedroom Tax
Council Tax and Business Rates
Tel: 01702 215001