What we do
- Advise consumers and businesses via Citizens Advice Consumer Help Line about their legal rights.
- Advise traders about their legal responsibilities.
- Make regular routine visits to trading premises to make sure that they are following current law and to check weighing and measuring equipment for accuracy.
- Investigate complaints concerning trading practices.
- Monitor the marketplace for dangerous products and illegal trading methods.
- When necessary, pursue breaches of criminal legislation through the Courts.
Need to know about your shopping rights?
The Office of Fair Trading has many useful leaflets for consumers. You can download these leaflets from the Office of Fair Trading website.
Reporting Fake/Counterfeit Goods or Misleading Advertising
Selling on the Internet
For information about what rules and regulations apply when selling on the internet please see our related downloads.
Page last updated: 07/03/2016