Health and Safety
We share the enforcement responsibility for work premises with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). To find the correct enforcing authority for your complaint or concern please check the HSE website.
The allocation of premises is detailed in the A-Z schedule of the Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998. The legal requirements are principally prescribed by the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and its associated legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
In these premises we are responsible for:
- Health and safety inspections and targeted interventions
- Providing advice and guidance, in addition to responding to service requests
- Investigating certain categories of accidents and dangerous occurrences
- Launching campaigns to raise public awareness of important issues
- Exercising enforcing options in line with our enforcement policy
Health and safety advice is available from the following sources:
- HSE website (including their contact details)
- How employers, self-employed and people in control of work premises can submit an incident report (as required by the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013).
- Employment Medical Advisory Service for advice on medical concerns related to work activities
- Essex Fire and Rescue Service (call 01376 576000 for advice on fire precautions in business premises)
Page last updated: 09/02/2018