Benefits Advice for Young People

Thinking of contacting us about your Council Tax or Housing Benefit?

If you register for MySouthend you can have access to your Council Tax bills, make payments, view your account, check your housing benefit entitlement, payment dates and notifications, and now tell us about changes using our new MySouthend forms, all from your secure online account.

To find out more, see the About MySouthend page.

To register, or to sign in to your MySouthend account Click here.  

There are a range of benefits that you may qualify for as a young person leaving care or as a young person (depending on your circumstances). Some of these benefits are claimed from us or HM Revenue & Customs, and others are claimed from Jobcentre Plus. You need to be 16 or over to claim these benefits.

The Council

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction – These are payments that we can pay to help people on low incomes pay their rent and Council Tax.

Information about claiming this can be found by visiting the Claiming Benefit page.

  • Essential Living Fund – If you are struggling with day to day living or need to buy some household goods due to unavoidable and unexpected financial emergencies, you may qualify to make a claim from the Essential Living Fund.

Information about claiming this can be found by visiting the Essential Living Fund page.

Jobcentre Plus

  • Jobseekers Allowance – Paid for people who are seeking work, are not sick or disabled and are not a lone parent.
  • Income Support – Paid for people who are a lone parent with a child under the age of 5.
  • Employment and Support Allowance – Paid for people who are ill and disabled. This benefit offers support for those that can work during their illness/disability and those who are not able to work because of it.
  • Personal Independence Payment – Is an extra payment paid to people who have long term ill health or a disability. How much you get is based on how your condition affects you.
  • Carers Allowance – Paid for people who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

HM Revenues & Customs

  • Tax Credits - Tax credits are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. You can often get both types of tax credits.
From February 2015 Universal Credit will affect new claims for some single tenants in Southend. Further information on how Universal Credit works, including the qualifying criteria can be found here.

Further information about these benefits can be found by visiting GOV.UK.

Calculating Entitlement 

To find out an accurate assessment of what you could be entitled to please use the Entitled To Benefit Calculator. Not only will it calculate what you could get based on your circumstances but it will also calculate whether you will be better off in work and how Universal Credit will affect you once active in the area.

Page last updated: 28/02/2017