Better Southend Archive
Tesco Roundabout upgrade paves way for new Airport Business Park plans
We have set out the next steps in its project to upgrade a major junction on the A127.
The £4.7m* upgrade of the roundabout on the junction of the A127 and B1013 – known locally as the Tesco Roundabout - will support Southend and Rochford councils’ ambitions to create 7,380 new jobs in the area around London Southend Airport over the next 15 years.
Earlier this year, we secured a £3.3m* grant from the Department for Transport (DfT)’s Local Pinch Point Fund towards this work. The remainder of the project cost (£1.4m*) will be met by our own capital budget.
Key features of the plans include:
- Extra lanes on the roundabout and its approaches
- The introduction of intelligent traffic-light controls at the roundabout – like those installed at Cuckoo Corner - which will respond to traffic levels at the junction and manage traffic accordingly. Better landscaping, including at least 10 more trees and attractive planting
- New, safer signalled crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists
- A reconfigured roundabout at the junction of Nestuda Way and St Laurence Way to simplify the northbound approach
The reconfigured junction will be able to handle more traffic and, as an added benefit, will make it easier for vehicles to exit from the Tesco side of the roundabout (Thanet Grange).
We are soon to appoint a contractor for the main infrastructure work, with an announcement expected during the week commencing 29 September. Once a contractor is appointed, work on the highway is scheduled to start on 27 October and complete in the Spring.
Keeping Southend “open for business”
We are committed to keeping disruption to motorists and neighbouring residents and businesses to a minimum but some off-peak lane closures and delays will be inevitable. There are planned lane closures during peak hours (Mon to Fri, 7.30 to 9.30am and 15.30 to 19.00pm). We have carefully considered the working hours to minimise the impact on businesses.
Keeping you informed
We have made a commitment to keeping road-users, residents and local businesses up to date on the progress of the works.
The main source of up-to-date information throughout the project is the www.bettersouthend.com website.
Public information boards have already been placed at Tesco, The Forum and our Customer Care Centre on Victoria Avenue. Information signs have been erected at on the approaches to the roundabout on the A127 and Nestuda Way.
As part of the contract being awarded for the construction, the contractor will employ a dedicated Public Liaison Officer to act as a single point of contact for the project. Once appointed, they will write to residents and businesses immediately neighbouring the roundabout so that they know who to turn to with any enquiries.
You will be able to access relevant traffic information in the following ways:
- Regularly checking the Better Southend website at www.bettersouthend.com
- Tuning into traffic reports on Southend Radio (105.1 FM), BBC Essex (95.3 / 103.5FM) or Heart (96.3 / 102.6FM).
- Following the Better Southend Twitter Feed @bettersouthend
- Monitoring the electronic ‘variable message signs’ along the A127
Page last updated: 06/08/2018