Blooming borough wins regional acclaim!
Published Monday 17th September 12 in Council - news and information releases news
Flourishing Southend beat off hot competition to scoop a prestigious silver gilt trophy at the recent Anglia in Bloom awards.
This hard-fought annual regional contest saw Southend's outdoor skills winning high praise from judges.
They paid tribute to the thriving voluntary organisation, Southend in Bloom and said: "Their new dynamic committee consists of seven members all from different backgrounds.
"Each member has a specific job to do and their presence has certainly made a noticeable impact this year.
"The production of bedding plants by the parks nursery is very impressive.
The gardeners based in the central nursery are a very talented team.
Not only have they produced all the bedding plants but have also designed and made a whole range of Willow figures that have been a focal point in the bedding schemes.
Southend-on-Sea can be proud of their entry."
The judges listed Southend's many achievements as follows:
- The excellent facilities at Priory Park
- The very impressive Green Flag campaign
- A very good example of encouraging support to young offenders
- Floral displays throughout the town with the Willow figures focal point
- The Growing Together initiative that supports young people with mental health problems
- Refurbishment of the Prittlewell Priory and gardens
- One of the few parks to have an herbaceous border
- The dedicated staff at the central nursery
- Excellent spring and summer floral displays
- Commitment to environmental and conservation issues
- The good signage in parks
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council's Executive Councillor for Culture and Tourism, Councillor Derek Jarvis said: "This is a tremendous achievement, especially considering we were competing against towns and cities across the whole region.
"We are delighted the judges have recognised the combined hard work, expertise and involvement of people across the community including those in our Parks department and members of the Southend in Bloom committee.
"We can all be very proud of this award."