Public Health Responsibility Deal
Southend Public Health Responsibility Deal
To sign up to the deal organisations can commit to at least one of the below actions or pledges, some are specific to certain business types, others are more generic.
Free support is available for businesses that sign up to the Southend Public Health Responsibility Deal.
How you can make a difference
Support for workplace Health
- Workplace health needs assessment
- Support Staff Attendance
- Support staff to give up smoking and support a smoke free environment.
- Sign up to be a Change4LIfe local supporter.
- Support staff to eat for performance, energy, mood. Workshops and food demos
- Create a Wellbeing Champion
Support for active workforce
- Encourage customers/service users to be more physically active
- Support your staff to live physically active lifestyles
- Signpost Sport & Leisure services in the area via internal comms, newsletters, communal areas
- Sport & Leisure Awareness Day: SBC Sport & Leisure onsite
Support for alcohol in the community
- Support Challenge 25 (for business selling alcohol)
Support for healthy eating in the community
- Offer healthy options for adults and children on menu’s
- Provide free drinking water or if water is for sale display it prominently Eg. At eye level in fridges etc.
- Sign up to the Essex Food Awards (for business preparing and selling food)
Support for sustainable travel
- Develop a travel plan for your organisation
- Personal Travel Plans to suit the employee as well as the environment and having fun as a way to travel to work
- Cycle2Work/Bikeability. Support for cycle purchase, training, parking & maintenance
- Active Travel Awareness Day
Support for mental health
- Raise awareness of mental health issues amongst staff and customers
Engage with Time to Change:
- Mindfulness course to provide mechanisms to help with stress, anxiety, depression as well as a number of physical conditions
- Raise Dementia Awareness
Support to make every contact count
Take opportunities with visitors, customers and staff count to think about making changes to improve their health and wellbeing.
To download the Action Plan template to sign up to the deal click here.
Any Southend-on-Sea based organisation or national organisation with a Southend-on-Sea site can obtain support through the responsibility deal. In order to provide the support service all we require is a short action plan (this can be as short as one paragraph) is required outlining what actions you will take during the next 12 months. Example action plans are available.
Supporters of a Healthy Workforce
‘If you look after your staff and provide a good environment to work in, they are more likely to become long term employees’ - Jo Shaer - Lollipop Local Ltd
"look after your staff brilliantly, and they will look after your customers brilliantly - the Responsibility Deal helps business owners care for the wellbeing of their employees” - Kevin Franks – Novo Hair
The Hive - www.thehive.org.uk
RBS - Southend - www.business.rbs.co.uk/business.html
The Angel Inn - www.angelinnpub.co.uk
Aviva - www.aviva.co.uk
Ballantyne Edwards Ltd - www.b-id.co.uk
Friars Primary School - www.friarsprimary.co.uk
Osteohealthcare Ltd - www.osteohealthcare.co.uk
UPT Ltd - www.lbmfitness.co.uk
The Railway Hotel - www.railwayhotelsouthend.co.uk
Age Concern Southend – www.acsos.co.uk
Anytime Fitness Southend – www.anytimefitness.co.uk
Bournes Green School - www.bournesgreenjuniors.org
BTMK Solicitors- www.btmk.co.uk
C2C NEXT Trains- www.c2c.co.uk
CHC Construction – www.chcconstruction.co.uk
Citizen's Advice Bureau- www.southendcab.org.uk
Estuary Arches Café – www.estuaryrestaurants.co m/the-arches
Estuary Broadway – www.estuaryrestaurants.com/the-broadway
Estuary Deli - www.estuaryrestaurants.com/delicatessen
Fusion Leisure – www.southend-leisure.com
Gleneagles Guest House & Tearoom – www.thegleneagleshotel.co.uk
Hi-Tec – www.hi-tec.co.uk
Holiday Inn Hotel, airport - www.HolidayInn.com/Southend-Airport
Hood Group – www.hoodgroup.co.uk
Lancaster School – www.lancaster.southend.sch.uk
Parkwood Healthcare Ltd - www.parkwoodhealthcare.co.uk
Pipe of Port - www.pipeofport.co.uk
Sacred Hearts School – www.sacredheart.fluencycms.co.uk
Shoebury High School – www.shoeburynesshigh.co.uk
Shoebury Hotel – www.shoeburyness-hotel.co.uk
SK Architects – www.skarchitects.co.uk
St Thomas More School - www.st-thomasmore.southend.sch.uk
I am just writing to say how wonderful the Pilates classes have been at Summercourt and what a positive impact this opportunity has had on both the emotional and physical well being of the staff team as well as being a great team building exercise. I can't thank you enough for organising this for us – Rachel Vasey-Reed.
Summercourts Childrens Centre – www.miltonhallschool.com
The Exchange Pub – eastangliapubs.com
West Leigh Junior School – www.westleighjunior.co.uk
Westcliff High School for boys – www.whsb.essex.sch.uk
Westcliff High School for Girls – www.whsg.info
YMCA – www.southendymca.org.uk
For more information on whats available under each action contact:
Business Engagement Officer, Public Health Team, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council or via the telephone on 01702 534456 or by e-mail to email@example.com.
Page last updated: 05/02/2018