Massage and Special Treatment
Massage and Special Treatment Licence
Why Do I need a Licence?
Under the terms of the Essex Act 1987, you need a licence for any premise where the following treatments are administered:
- Massage or Chiropody
- Electric Treatment, Radiant Heat, Light (inc UV) or Electric Vapour Treatment
- Laser Treatment
- Sauna or other Baths for Therapeutic Treatments
- Or similar treatment
Limitations of the Act
- You must be at least 21 years old or older.
- You will need to have a Police record check, however spent convictions are not taken into account.
- You must comply with the 'Schedule of Conditions' to ensure that any licence issued remains valid. (Found in the related download section)
- This licence runs from the period of the 1st April to the 31st March the following year. A full fee must be paid for any initial application (i.e. the fee is not applied pro rata for periods of less than a year).
- Any person who carries on an establishment for massage or special treatment, or permits such an establishment to be carried on without having obtained an appropriate licence shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding Level 4 on the standard scale. Essex Act 1987, Section 18(1)(a).
- Any person who knowingly issues, publishes or displays or causes to be issued, published or displayed any advertisement relating to an establishment for massage or special treatment which is not licensed shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding Level 3 on the standard scale and to a daily fine not exceeding £40. Essex Act 1987, Section 18(2).
A licence may not be required for the following (please check with us for more precise exemptions):
- People who hold medical qualifications or membership will not need a licence, e.g. Osteopaths or Physiotherapist
- Massage of the face or scalp only.
- Premises such as registered hospitals and nursing homes.
How to Apply
You can apply online. This is a quick and easy way of completing your application and making a payment. The online forms are located at the right hand side of this page.
Alternatively you can apply in writing using the forms in our related download section
Licences runs from 1st April to 31st March.
You will need to complete the application form (MASS-1) 'Application to Licence an Establishment for Massage or Special Treatment' for the premises.
Also required is a (MASS-2) 'Application to Administer Massage or Special Treatment' for the person applying for the premises licence and each person carrying out or directly supervising treatments at the licensed premises.
Each application form (MASS-1 & 2) should be accompanied by 2 photographs of the applicant (passport type). These photographs should be certified as a true likeness of the applicant by an appropriate person (Doctor, solicitor, teacher, etc.).
In addition, a plan of the premises, clearly indicating the treatment areas, must be included with your application.
The current fee per person for a licence is £115.
About the Act
You can find out all about the details of the Essex Act 1987 on The National Archives website.
Last updated: 14th May 2013