Pre-Games Training Camps
Southend Leisure and Tennis Centre, including Southend Swimming and Diving Centre, was used as an official London 2012 Olympic Pre Games Training Camp. The reasons for choosing this centre as a Pre Games Training Camp prior to any major sporting competition:
- Outstanding sport and leisure facilities at SLTC:
- Floodlit eight-lane synthetic athletics track for track and field sports;
- 4 floodlit outdoor tennis courts;
- A floodlit outdoor multi-use sports court including 4 netball courts;
- Health & fitness studio with extensive high-tech cardiovascular and muscle toning equipment;
- 4 deco turf indoor tennis courts;
- A multi-sports hall (36.65m long x 31.85m wide x 12.05m high) with wooden finish flooring and equipment for a range of sports including basketball, badminton, cricket, netball, sitting volleyball and five-a-side football. This has spectator bleacher seating for up to 600 people and capacity to accommodate a further 900 people seated around the perimeter, e.g. for a basketball event.
- A secondary hall (16.49m long x 15.52 wide x 7.6m high) with wooden finish flooring and equipment for a range of sports
- Exercise and Dance Studio
- Health Suite with Jacuzzi, two saunas and a steam room
- Function & Conference Suites - one overlooking the Athletics Track
- Bar serving food and drink with 6 ft TV screen, pool table and relaxing seating
- SLTC is DDA compliant. It has a ramp to reception and a lift to all floors, disabled showers and toilets facilities as well as wheelchair access to other facilities on site
- The site has its own large, free car park with a number of appropriately marked disabled parking bays.
- 25-metre-long eight-lane competition pool and a world class diving pool.
- World Class diving pool with fixed platforms at 1m, 3m, 5m, 7.5m and 10m, two springboards at 1m and a further springboard at 3m; with water agitation and air cushion system.
- The diving pool also features a moveable floor to enable swimming lessons and exercise classes to take place.
- A dry-diving training facility complete with harness and trampolines
Last updated: 3rd September 2012
Leisure, Culture & Tourism
Tel: 01702 215011