Licence Directory - Gambling Licences

Record Details

Gambling Licenses

Under the Gambling Act 2005 there are 3 types of licences that are needed to run facilities for gambling.

  • An Operators Licence: Needed by individuals or companies that want to offer facilities for gambling. This is granted by the Gambling Commission.
  • A Personal Licence: Needed by the directors/managers (Personal Management Licence) and by those performing operational functions e.g. croupiers (Personal Functional Licence). All Personal Licences are granted by the Gambling Commission.
  • A Premises Licence: This is issued by us for all premises within the Borough and is needed for places where the gambling will take place. Licences last indefinitely and there is an annual fee

The following premises need to get a Premises Licence:

  • Casinos
  • Bingo Premises
  • Betting Premises (including tracks)
  • Adult Gaming Centres (AGC)
  • Family Entertainment Centres (FEC). We are responsible for issuing permits for:
  • gaming machines on alcohol-licensed premises
  • gaming machines for members clubs
  • unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (Category D machines only)
  • prize gaming
  • small society lottery registrations

We also:

  • grant Temporary Use Notices (TUNs)
  • grant Occasional Use Notices (OUNs)
  • grant provisional statements (for premises not yet built)
  • keep a register of all licences, permits, notices and registrations

The Licensing Authority is responsible for:

  • the monitoring and enforcement of the authorisations they issue
  • setting fees within bands
  • the Magistrates will hear any Premises Licence appeals

When dealing with Gambling Act applications we follow their Statement of Policy and abide by the Gambling Commission Code of Practice.

More Information

Application Forms

Gambling Act Application Forms

Price Guide