Paying for your Care and Personal Assistants

Employing a Personal Assistant

Employing a Personal Assistant

One of the many benefits of having a Personal Budget is being able to use a Personal Assistant (PA for short). A PA is a person paid by you to help you live more independently.

There are two ways to get a PA, either employing someone privately or paying an agency to provide someone. Your social worker or care co-ordinator will give you advice about this.

Employing someone privately

It is important to remember that you are not choosing a best friend but someone to do a job.

  • to employ a PA you advertise for; interview and choose someone who suits you
  • you are also responsible for the administrative and legal responsibilities including managing your PA’s pay and arranging the appropriate insurance before they start working for you
  • your social worker will be able to explain this in full. They can also provide you with some further information to help you understand this process.
  • for information about finding a PA please see the Livewell website.

Paying an agency to provide someone

  • you will pay an agency to find you a PA and pay their wages, tax and national insurance
  • you will have less choice about your PA as you will not be able to interview them
  • the agency may not be able to provide the same person each time
  • employing someone through an agency also costs more
Go to top
Feedback button
Feedback Button