A guide to Test and Trace

Financial support for those self-isolating

Test and Trace Support Payment

The Test and Trace Support Payment has been introduced to help people on a means-tested benefit and a low income, who are advised by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, but are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result. 

The scheme runs from the 28th September 2020.

Who Can Claim?

To qualify for a £500 one off payment under the scheme:

  • you must submit your application no later than 14 days after your period of self-isolation ends
  • you must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, on or after the 28th September 2020
  • you must be currently receiving one of the following; Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, Pension Credit
  • you must be employed or self-employed, unable to work from home and will lose income as a result

If you meet the above criteria you can make a claim for the main scheme, however if you do not receive of the listed benefits you may be entitled to an award from our discretionary scheme. 

You do not need to identify which scheme you are applying for, as you will automatically be considered for both.

How to Apply

You can apply online.

You will be asked to provide evidence in support of your claim. If employed you will need proof of your employment, as well as confirmation from your employer that you are unable to work from home. If you are self employed you will need to provide evidence of your self-assessment tax returns and proof that you cannot run your business without social contact. You must also provide the notification from the NHS "Test and Trace" scheme asking you to self-isolate, this will include a unique ID number.

If you do not have internet access or would struggle to complete the online application, please call 01702 215841 to request a telephone application. Our phone lines are extremely busy so please keep them free for the most vulnerable if possible. Our phone lines are open from 8:45am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

Extra Information

  • even if you make a joint claim for universal credit, you claim the support payment as an individual, so if you and your partner BOTH need to self-isolate and meet the other criteria as above, you can each make separate claims for the £500 payment
  • if you need to self-isolate again, you can claim a subsequent payment, as long as you meet the criteria
  • the payment will not affect your benefits
  • the payments are subject to income tax, but not subject to national insurance contributions
  • anyone who qualifies for this payment will receive it on top of any statutory sick pay they are entitled to

If you have any general enquiries about the scheme or wish to receive copies of either the main or discretionary policy then please email us.

Go to top
Rating button
Rating Button