Equipment and Support to Keep you Safe at Home

Adaptations to Your Home

We fund adaptations to owner-occupied and privately rented homes to meet the special needs of disabled residents.

An occupational therapist will visit your home to assess your needs. We may also refer you to a social care worker to see if there is any other support available to you.

If you live in a South Essex Home Property

We can provide adaptations ranging from:

  • grab rails
  • portable ramps
  • bathroom and kitchen adaptations

To enable you to remain independent in your home.

You will have to have an assessment before we make any changes to your home.

In some cases, if it is not possible to adapt your current home, we may offer you other housing to suit your needs.

If you own your own home

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) may be available to you for major works to your home. You will need to have a financial assessment before any grant is given. You may have to pay something towards the cost of the work.

To ask about a DFG or other adaptations to your home please contact our Adaptations Team. You can also give them a call on 01702 215000.

You will not be able to apply for a DFG if you have already had the work carried out.

See our Disabled Facilities Grants pages for more information.

If you are buying a property

We can tell you about adaptations that may help you.

Repairs and maintenance to adaptations

You are responsible for ongoing repairs and maintenance of any major adaptation work provided by a DFG.

If your adaptions need repair and you live in a South Essex Home Property, please contact their Maintenance and Repairs Helpline.

Contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 01702 215008

Go to top
Feedback button
Feedback Button