What the Department for Work and Pension and Central Government are offering


If you have been furloughed by your employer then the Government have announced that the Job Retention Scheme will remain open until the end of October

  • Furloughed workers will continue to receive 80% of their current salary, up to £2,500 a month.
  • From the start of August, furloughed workers will be able to return to work part-time with employers being asked to pay a percentage towards the salaries of their furloughed staff.
  • The employer payments will substitute the contribution the government is currently making, ensuring that staff continue to receive 80% of their salary, up to £2,500 a month.

Worked for an employer

For people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or those who are unable to work because they are self-isolating in line with Government advice (this includes if they are self-isolating as a family member has the virus).You can claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). This can be claimed from day 1 if you were working for an employer and earning at least £188 a week (£120 from 1st April).

It is paid by your employer for a maximum of 28 week and is £94.25 (£95.85 from 1st April).

You can get an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, if needed by your employer.

Self-employed / Do not qualify for SSP

As well as the option to claim Universal Credit you can claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

You’ll get a taxable grant which will be 80% of the average profits any of the below tax years you have been trading:

  • 2016 to 2017
  • 2017 to 2018
  • 2018 to 2019

HMRC will average the total trading profit for the 3 tax years to calculate a monthly amount.

It will be up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for 3 months.  The grant will be paid directly into your bank account, in one instalment.

You can apply if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and you:

Your self-employed trading profits must also be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income come from self-employment. This is determined by at least one of the following conditions being true:

To find out if you are eligible and to make your claim visit the Gov.uk website.

What Central Government are offering

Overpayment deductions

The Government has announced that recovery of all Department of Work and Pensions overpayments have been suspended for 3 months. This includes deduction from Universal Credit legacy benefit overpayments. Social fund loans and Tax Credit Debts will be paused while all staff are re-deployed.  Universal Credit Advance payments will however still continue.

The majority of deductions will be suspended automatically, however if you currently make repayments through a Bank Standing Order, Bank Giro Credit or through online banking, please contact your bank to cancel your arrangement. 

Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

If you have a health condition that makes you especially vulnerable to coronavirus, the government is advising you to stay at home and take special steps to protect yourself you can register to get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person.

Return to the main Information on your finances page

Page last updated: 13/05/2020