Closures and changes to council services
Closures and changes to council services due to coronavirus
Following the Government’s announcement made on Sunday 10 May, we are making some changes to current service restrictions and closures that were in place. The current position is as below:
Please find below some updates to key services:
Please note that waste collections are currently operating as normal. We do have contingency plans in place, and will communicate those if/when those plans are required.
In line with Government advice, we have made the decision to close the following venues, to help protect our staff and the public during the coronavirus outbreak. Further details and future re-opening will be given when necessary.
- The Civic Centre - Southend Register Office is only able to provide Death appointments by telephone at present. We are not able, until further notice, to offer appointment to Register Birth , take any new provisional booking for Wedding/Civil Partnership/Citizenship Ceremonies or to provide an appointment for any new notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership.
Following the Government update on 29/05/2020 – whilst this does allow for the registration of Birth appointments from 1 June, this is only when it is deemed safe and with appropriate social distancing. We are currently working on a coordinated responsible plan to keep both residents and staff safe. We will be in contact shortly to rebook existing Birth appointments. Please do not contact us, we will be in contact with you and this will be done in chronological order – please be patient we will see you soon.
- Cemeteries and crematoriums are open to the public, but the public must stay at least 2 metres from each other. Please see our dedicated page for more information on how we need to conduct services at this time
- The Cliff Lift
- Cliffs Pavilion
- Palace Theatre
- Southend Pier and Visitor Information Centre
- Prittlewell Priory and Visitor Centre
- Central Museum
- Focal Point Gallery
- Beecroft Gallery
- Southchurch Hall
- Library services at the Forum and all branches, the Home Library Service, library delivery service (to care homes).
- Belfairs Swim Centre
- Chase Sports and Fitness Centre
- Shoeburyness Leisure Centre
- Southend Leisure and Tennis Centre
- The Tickfield Centre
- All playgrounds and outdoor gyms
- start to bowls and cricket season has been suspended
- A number of public toilets
- Parks Tennis Courts, Playgrounds and Multi-Use Games Areas - Reopening Friday 22 May
- Both Household Waste and Recycling Centres reopened to the public on Monday 18 May but only for essential visits and with strict social distancing measures in place to ensure visitors and staff are kept safe.
- Belfairs Golf course will reopen Friday 22 May.
- A number of car park will reopened on Saturday 16 May
Page last updated: 02/06/2020