Coat of Arms
Southend's Coat of Arms
Armorial Bearings of the Borough Arms
Blue background or "field" with a triangular "pile" of silver imposed between a gold anchor, a gold grid iron and, at the base, a gold trefoil. On the "pile" a spray of lilies rising from a vase, in natural colours.
In a red mural crown a ship's mast flying the banner of St. George.
A medieval fisherman trailing a net from his right hand and a Cluniac monk holding a red book in his right hand and a staff in his left, both in proper colours.
Per Mare per Ecclesiam (By the Sea and by the Church)
The Arms and Crest were granted by Letters Patent dated 1st January, 5 George V 1915.
The Supporters were granted by Letters Patent dated 2nd January, 5 George V 1915.
By Order dated 21st May 1974, the Arms, Crest and Supporters were transferred to the newly created Borough Council of Southend-on-Sea.
The blue background indicates the sea. The lilies rising from the vase, the central feature of the anils, are the emblem of the Virgin Mary and represent both the Mother Parish of St Mary, Prittlewell and the Cluniac Priory dedicated to St Mary, founded at Prittlewell about 1110 AD. To the left of the Arms, as seen by the viewer, is the golden anchor which is the emblem of St Clement the patron saint of the Church of Leigh. On the other side the golden gridiron stands for St Lawrence the patron saint of Eastwood Church, being the instrument of his martyrdom, whilst the golden trefoil at the foot of the arms, being the symbol of the Holy Trinity, represents the dedication of the Parish Church of Southchurch.
The supporters, the medieval fishermen as seen on the viewer's left, and the bearded monk on the right, were chosen as representing the two influences which most affected the early life of the town. These factors are again reflected in the motto "By the Sea and by the Church" in which the word "by" refers, not, as is often thought, to a geographical location, but the causes which led to the growth of the community.
The mural crown is a coronet made of masonary to represent the walls of a city and is an honourable distinction associated with crests of several towns and cities. The ship's mast with a crow's nest like that of an old galley refers to Leigh's history as a port and the town's general connection with shipping.
The Livery Colours of Southend-on-Sea are Blue and Silver.
Page last updated: 29/06/2018