We are committed to reduce the impact that our actions have upon the environment. These are just some of our recent feats:
- Better levels of recycling: from 28% of waste 5 years ago to 46.6% in the year to March 2012. This was helped by greater food waste recycling. Introducing recycling for rigid plastic, paint and aerosol cans and our recycling campaigns.
- Won the Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice. The Priory Museum also won a Green Apple Award.
- Became part of a successful European Regional Development Fund bid. This will help support our schools reduce their carbon emissions. Also, increase knowledge of renewable technologies in schools.
- The ERDF Low Carbon Business programme was named New Energy Champion of the Year in March 2012. Southend is a key partner in this.
- We held our 3rd annual conference on the UK's transition to the low-carbon economy in March 2013. Speakers from the public and private sectors highlighted how business and other partners can benefit by adopting a sustainable business practice.
- We won £4.8m through the Local Sustainable Transport Fund in July 2011: this will boost sustainable travel in the borough and reduce carbon emissions.
- We won a £1.6m bid from the Better Bus Area Fund. This fund will help us to get more people to use buses. Cut traffic and promote a low carbon transport network. This was topped up by Arriva and First Essex Buses and Southend's Local Transport Plan funding.
- We secured £1.2m of funding for the ReallySmartHouse initiative. This design helps reduce the carbon emissions of 60 properties in the St Luke's Ward by 40%. In turn, create the first 'Low-Carbon Zone' in Essex.
- We won £12,000 through the Climate Change Skills Fund. It helps us promote the use of electric bikes throughout the borough. In order to reduce short car journeys.
- 48 schools have been provided with free water efficiency tools.
- We have an active Green Staff Forum. This supports both Climate Week and Earth Hour, to help raise awareness of climate related issues.
Page last updated: 07/01/2020