Equipment and Support to Keep you Safe at Home

Adaptations to Your Home

We fund adaptations to owner-occupied and privately rented properties to meet some of the special needs of disabled residents. An Occupational Therapist will visit your home to assess your needs. We may also refer you to a Social Care worker to see if there is other support available.

If you live in a South Essex Home Property

  • We can provide adaptations ranging from grab rails and portable ramps to bathrooms and kitchen adaptations to enable you to remain independent
  • You will have to have an assessment before we make any adaptations to your home. In some cases, if it is not possible to adapt your current home, we may offer you alternative accommodation to suit your needs

If you own your own home

  • Disabled Facilities Grants may be available for major works to homes. You will need to have a financial assessment before any grant is given and you may have to make a contribution towards the cost of work
  • To enquire about a Disabled Facilities Grant or other adaptations to your home please contact Southend Council via the Adaptations Team or give them a call on 01702 215606.
  • You will not be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant if you have already had the work carried out
  • Find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants.

If you are buying a property

  • If you are buying a property, we can tell you about adaptations that may help you

Repairs and maintenance to adaptations

  • You are responsible for ongoing repairs and maintenance of any major adaptation work provided by a Disabled Facilities Grant
  • If you live in a South Essex Home Property, please contact the Maintenance and Repairs Helpline if your adaptations need repair

Page last updated: 07/08/2019