To take a vehicle safely across a footpath (and verge) to gain access to a property/site a vehicle crossing (also known as 'crossover' or 'dropped kerb') must be created.
A section of kerb will be lowered and the footway (and verge) strengthened to avoid damage to any pipes and cables buried beneath.
You must to apply our Traffic and Highways department for approval if you would like to:
- create new vehicle crossing
- alter an existing crossing
You do not need approval from us if your property/site is on a private road.
You can ask us to approve up to, two vehicle crossing proposals, at the same site, on the same application form.
If your application is approved, you must use one of our approved contractors when you arrange for the crossing to be built.
You may need:
- Planning Permission, if you do, it must be granted before you make a Vehicle Crossing application and Planning Permission does not guarantee Traffic and Highway approval
- Environment Agency Consent if the proposed crossing needs to cross a ditch or ordinary watercourse
- written consent from the freeholder/land owner of the premises (if that is not you)
- to make an application to have any restriction on land cancelled or modified if the title deeds of the property include a deed restriction (also known as a restrictive covenant) that would affect parking within the property boundary
Before you make an application please read our Vehicle Crossing Policy and Application Guidance.
Not every site will be suitable for us to approve a request.
PO Box 6, Civic Centre
Our application fee is staggered.
We charge to carry out an initial site assessment and to consider the application.
When an application has been approved and you choose to proceed, we then charge for our engineer to inspect your chosen contractors work and to issue you a Completion Certificate.
The application fee only is exempt if the application is to create access for a disabled person living or intending to live in the premises. All other costs remain the responsibility of the applicant.
The application fee is non-refundable unless written instruction to withdraw the application is received from the applicant within 5 days of initial receipt.
Application and Site Assessment Fee £140.00
Application and Site Assessment Fee - submitted with exceptional circumstances £190.00.
Inspection Fee £85.00 - for approved Applications only, charged when you proceed with construction.
If you have an enquiry about the status of your application, a payment or a final decision please fill in the Vehicle Crossing Enquiry Form.
If you would like to make a payment for an Application and Site Assessment Fee, Application and Site Assessment Fee - submitted with exceptional circumstances or Inspection Fee please fill in the Vehicular Crossing payment form.
The Construction of the Permanent Vehicular Crossing shall be carried out by The Councils’ Contractor:
Marlborough Highways Ltd,
Rochehall Way, Purdeys Industrial Estate,
Rochford, Essex SS4 1JU
Contact Number: 0207 739 2976
Page last updated: 01/04/2019