Welcome to your local stop smoking service
Tel: 01702 212000
Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do to improve your health
We’re your local Stop Smoking service and are here to provide free advice, support and information to anyone who is thinking of stopping smoking.
You’re 4 times more likely to stop if you get support and use medication during your quit.
Our service offers:
- Support from Local Healthcare Professionals
- A hospital-based service (either in or out-patient)
Support from Local Healthcare Professionals
There is help available from other professionals in our community. Your GP Practice and your local Pharmacy are likely to offer a Stop Smoking service.
- Your Practice Nurse can offer you a Smoking Cessation appointment to discuss your options and then issue a prescription for your chosen medication. Normal prescription fees will apply unless you do not normally have to pay these.
- A similar service is also available at many local pharmacies, look out for a poster or sticker in the window. If you pay for your prescriptions then you’ll only pay a one-off fee for the entire treatment which can last for up to 10 weeks. Stopping smoking with support from your local pharmacy can be very flexible and you may not need to book an appointment for every visit.
- View a current list of all the pharmacies which offer this service.
Stopping Smoking before an operation can really improve your recovery and lessen the risk of complications. The earlier you stop smoking the better - if you stop 6 months beforehand you will cut your post-surgery risks down to the same level as a non-smoker. But stopping even 48 to 72 hours before your operation will promote better recovery and wound healing.
However, some hospital admissions are not planned so an in-patient service is also available from our on-site advisors. Your nurse can refer you to us so that we can offer support during your stay.
If you are just thinking about stopping smoking and would like to chat things through, please give us a call on 01702 212000 and we’ll be happy to help.
Page last updated: 24/04/2019