Just About Managing

  • are you in financial hardship?

  • are you just about managing?

  • has your income decreased or changed and you are not sure what to do?

  • are you struggling to make ends meet?

 This page provide you with quick links to support that is available for you to use.


Unsure what benefits you can claim, complete this online calculator with your current information to find out what and how you can claim

Food and Fuel

There are a few ways you can access food and fuel if you find yourself in need. The Essential Living Fund may be able to help with short term 1 off emergencies with a food and fuel award.

Citizens Advice Southend may be able to help with food vouchers or to access with assistance for switching fuel provider and reviewing hardship.

email: southendinfo@citizensadvicesouthend.org.uk

direct telephone number: 01702 456352 or 01702 456366

Housing Cost – rented accommodation

If you are living in rented accommodation and on a low income you may be entitled to help with your housing costs, depending on your circumstances you may have to make this claim from the Department of Works and Pension or the Local Council.  

Council Tax Reduction – making claims

Has your income decreased and now you are struggling to pay your Council Tax Bill, you could be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax.

Rent arrears – Discretionary Housing Payments

If you have a rent a top up that you are unable to pay or you considering moving to a more affordable rented accommodation? You may be entitled to help from the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme if you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or receive the Housing Element in your Universal Credit Payment.


Citizens Advice Southend can help with Debt advice, maximisation of income, help to claim Universal Credit

email address: southendinfo@citizensadvicesouthend.org.uk

Direct telephone number: 01702 456352 or 01702 456366

Test and Trace

If you are on a low income and your earnings will decrease causing you financial hardship once you have been told to self-isolate, you may be entitled to support.

Mental Health

Please follow the links shown below for guides to Adult and Children Mental Health Services.



Livewell Southend

Livewell Southend is a health and wellbeing self-serve website that provides information and advice on how to stay well plus details on Community Groups, Organisations and details of services that can support all kinds of needs.

Covid Action Line

The Southend-on-Sea Borough Council Action Line is available if you require help.

Direct Telephone No: 01702 212497

Opening Times: Monday – Friday from 9.00 – 5.00 pm

Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 – 2.00 pm

Contact Benefits

Telephone: 01702 215001

Go to top
Feedback button
Feedback Button