Southend measles update
Published Friday, 18th October 2019
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council and Public Health England (PHE) have confirmed the following.
- we now have nine confirmed cases of measles
- we are still awaiting results of three further suspected measles cases
- two suspected cases have returned negative results
- we are continuing to communicate with a cohort of 284 people who were potentially exposed to the virus, to encourage them to find out their immunisation status from their GPs and to book a vaccination appointment if they have not had both MMR jabs already
- we have given MMR jabs to 34 people since the first case was confirmed
All centres for adults with learning disabilities that had previously been closed have reopened since Monday 7 October.
A reminder that you are not at risk of measles if you:
- have already received two doses of the MMR jab
- you have not been exposed to someone who has the virus
If you were born before 1970, you are also likely to be immune because you have probably been exposed to measles already.
A short video has also been produced which is available to watch on our YouTube channel.
Useful links and advice for public reference: