Swing low, sweet chariot, coming to support your local town
Published Friday, 1st November 2019
Residents and visitors are being urged to support local businesses whilst supporting the England rugby team for the World Cup Final this weekend.
Kicking off at 9am Saturday 2 November, the England rugby team will head out to do battle with South Africa in the final of the Rugby World Cup, which is being hosted by Japan. Various local establishments varying from pubs and restaurants to casinos will be showing the game live, and the council and Southend BID are asking fans to think local when planning to watch the match unfold.
Cllr Kevin Robinson, cabinet member for business, culture and tourism, said: “The England rugby boys have done us all tremendously proud and we are now only 80 minutes or so away from lifting the Webb Ellis Cup.
“I know that many friends and families are planning to get together to watch what we hope will be a momentous occasion, so why not support your local businesses whilst supporting the guys over in Japan?”
Suzanne Gloyne, Manager of Southend Business Improvement District Southend (BID) said: “It’s been twelve long years since England were last in a rugby World Cup final when, ironically, they faced South Africa. Could Saturday be the day when we get our sporting revenge? It’s going to be an awesome contest and I’m delighted that a variety of bars, pubs and hotels in the BID zone are entering the spirit of the occasion and opening their doors, so that sports fans can get together and watch the game in a terrific atmosphere.
“Let’s hope we get the result we want and the England team produces its finest hour against the Springboks. And if we do win, they’ll be the perfect locations to toast their success!”
A list of establishments within Southend that will be showing the game live is below:
- Roslin Hotel, Thorpe Esplanade, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 3BG
- The Alex, 53 Alexandra Street, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1BW
- Holiday Inn, 77 Eastwoodbury Crescent, Southend-on-Sea, SS2 6XG
- Seven hotel, 7 Clifton Terrace, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1DT
- The Dickens, Luker Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1LH
- Genting Casino, Western Esplanade, Southend-on-Sea, SS0 7QY
- Grosvenor Casino, Church Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2AL
- The Last Post, Weston Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1AS
- Oyster Court, 6 Market Place, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1DA
Please note that there are numerous establishments across the Borough showing the game, so check in your local pubs and restaurants for more details.