The contraflow on Western Esplanade will be removed by 4 July, following the Government announcement that there will be a further easing of lockdown measures, alongside changes to social distancing
The widened promenade was introduced in mid-May as part of a package of measures to help protect public safety and help people keep two metres apart as lockdown restrictions were first eased.
The contraflow was reduced in length last weekend and will be removed completely by Saturday 4 July. The Government has stated that ‘where it is not possible to stay two metres apart, guidance will allow people to keep a social distance of ‘one metre plus’. This means staying one metre apart, plus mitigations which reduce the risk of transmission.’
The contraflow removal will also bring the remaining suspended parking bays along Western Esplanade back into use for seafront visitors from Saturday 4 July.
Cllr Ron Woodley, deputy leader of the council, says: “We have taken a balanced approach to this all along, and kept the contraflow under regular review.
“Last week we reduced the stretch from Chalkwell Esplanade to Shorefield Road, and said that if the Government announced a reduction on the 2 metre social distancing advice then we would look to remove the contraflow completely, as it would no longer be needed for that purpose.
“That change in advice was announced today alongside a further easing of lockdown, both of which will come into place from Saturday 4 July. We will therefore remove the contraflow by Saturday 4 July. We continue to urge local people and visitors to stay safe, stay apart and to visit Southend safely at this time.”
Further local updates related to today’s (Tuesday 23rd June) national announcement will be made this week.
Yesterday, visitors to Southend-on-Sea were reminded to stay safe if visiting.