We provide a range of recycling services:
- weekly collections of your pink sacks, blue paper and card box and clear textile sacks
- weekly collections of your small electrical items (in carrier bags)
- weekly collections of your blue food waste bin
- an optional buy-into garden waste service
- two Household Waste Recycling Centres in the Borough
Re-use, Donate or Sell
Before you recycle something, think about whether it can be reused in any way- either as something else in your own home, take to the Re use shop at Stock Road HWRC or donate to Charity.
You could advertise your item on recycling websites to see if anyone else can use it for free, or try auction sites, such as Ebay, to sell the item.
Tips for reducing your waste
- recycle as much of your waste as possible
- where possible, compost your food and garden waste. Compost bins can be homemade or purchased
- reduce the amount of direct junk mail that you receive
- buy rechargeable batteries, or appliances which use mains electricity
- donate unwanted items to local charity shops, schools, and community groups, who collect them and have use for them or use websites such as Freecycle who also collect unwanted items
- donate old magazines to waiting rooms in doctor's surgeries, dentists, vets, etc.
- buy 'loose' food rather than pre-packaged
- use a nappy laundry service as a more environmentally friendly alternative to disposable nappies
- reuse carrier bags or buy reusable shopping bags
- buy items such as washing powders, liquids and salt in refillable containers
- buy cotton cloths for the kitchen clean-up instead of disposable kitchen roll
- use a milk delivery service - the glass bottle kind - if there's one in your area
- clearing out the attic? Try selling your stuff rather than taking it to the dump. Check out online auction sites like eBay - where you can also bid for anything from second-hand designer clothes to boats
- cut down on the amount of Junk Mail you receive. For more information, please visit Recycle Now