Pay Your Business Rates
If You Don’t Pay Your Business Rates
Instalment Reminder Notice
- This notice will tell you that you need to bring your instalment payments up to date within 7 days.
- If you do this, we won’t take any further action.
Please note that you can only get one instalment reminder notice in each financial year.
- If you didn’t pay within the 7 days or if you made the payment asked for in the reminder notice but then another instalment was not received by the due date, we will issue a final notice.
- The notice will ask that you pay the remaining balance for the whole financial year within 14 days.
- You cannot pay by instalments once you have been given a final notice.
- If you do not pay within the 14 days you will be issued a court summons without further notice which will add costs to your account.
- Costs of £65.00 are added to your account.
- You are then asked to pay in full the outstanding year's Business Rates and the £65.00 before the court hearing.
- If you cannot pay the amount in full before the court hearing we will apply to the court to obtain a Liability Order which will add a further £30.00 costs to your account.
- If you cannot pay the amount in full by the court hearing you can contact the Business Rates department to make a payment arrangement to clear the total amount owed.
- You only need to attend the court hearing if you dispute your liability at the property and we have not been able to resolve the matter with you before the court hearing.
The ultimate sanction for not paying your business rates is your committal to prison. If we have tried all other methods to recover payment we will consider an application for your committal to prison.
Page last updated: 24/05/2017