Accessibility Statement for Southend-on-Sea City Council
This accessibility statement applies to www.southend.gov.uk
This website is run by Southend-on-Sea City Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We have upgraded this website to an improved platform that has been designed with accessibility in mind.
We have systematically gone through the content on this website, and continue to do so, to ensure text is in plain English, free from jargon and of a reading level lower than secondary education (WCAG 3.1.5). The majority of this website complies with this, however some policy documents or planning applications do not meet this criteria.
All buttons, images and banners have colour contrast that adheres to the accessibility regulations.
All videos uploaded after 17 June 2020 have captions and/or a transcript.
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- live video streams do not have captions
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email email@example.com
- call 01702 215000
- for queries relating to Council Tax please email - Ctax@southend.gov.uk
- for queries relating to Benefits please email - Benefits@southend.gov.uk
We will consider your request and get back to you within 5 days.
If you cannot view the map on our contact us page, call or email us firstname.lastname@example.org for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: email@example.com
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the accessibility regulations). If you are not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Our offices have audio induction loops.
Technical information about this websites accessibility
Southend-on-Sea City Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances and exemptions listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
- contrast levels are set and not able to be altered. However in re-designing this website, we have ensured that all navigation and body content has colour contrast compliant with WCAG 2.1 AA
- many of our pdf downloads are not accessible. We have created a register of PDFs which are essential for service delivery and are working through these to create HTML pages and forms. We have reduced the pdfs on the site by approximately a quarter and continue to reduce these, placing all necessary content on web pages where appropriate. Many documents in the planning section are not accessible and contain legal wording and architect drawings that do not comply
- there are a number of policy documents that are necessary to have on our website and that are not compliant
- non-compliant pdfs include
- Care sector support offer
- Full test and trace plans and documents
- Modern slavery statement
- Education policies, plans and strategies
- Strategy documents within the information centre, which include the corporate plan and annual report
- Development plan documents
- Statement of Accounts 2019 - 2020
- Our Budget and Financial Processes
- Infrastructure Funding Statement 2019-20
- MySouthend User Guides (we are currently in the processs of turning these guides in to videos)
- Audit Letter 2019-20
- Weekly List of Planning Applications Registered (we are currently working on an accessible way of presenting this conent)
- Empty Homes Strategy (we are currently working on fixing and tagging this pdf so it is as accesible as can be)
- Infrastructure Funding Statement Landscape
- Public Space Protection Order (Leigh-on-Sea and Chalkwell Seafront and Adjoining Areas) No.1 of 2021
- PTO1013 Traffic Regulation Order
- Bus Service Improvement Plan (Legally this document had to be available for the Department for Transport to download from this website. The document is not accessible, therefore it is not currently available for the public to view. An accessible version will be made available in due course)
- Pathway Referral Map for Transition to Adults Services
- Infrastructure Funding Statement 2020-21
- Download:Southend on Sea City Council CTax Reduction S13A Scheme
- Subject Access Request (SAR) Form 2023
- Medium Term Financial Strategy 2022-23 to 2026-27
- Financial Sustainability Strategy 2022
- Primary School Admissions Booklet 2023
- PTO1040 - Eastwood Park Junction Protections
- LGA Corporate Peer Challenge Positon Statement
- Public Path Diversion Order (No.FP257) Order Map
- (Made) PTO1040.P3 - Eastwood Park Junction Protection (Phase 3)
- PTO1045 - North Street (various roads) (consolidation of moving traffic and speed limit) order 2006 (as amended) (amendment no.1) order 2023
- PTO1047 - Greenways - (various roads) (consolidation of moving traffic and speed limit) order 2006 (as amended) (amendment no.2) order 2023
- (Made) PTO1039-5097 - Deposit Document - Hampton Gardens
- (Made) PTO1044 - Deposit Document Victoria Junction Protections Phase 2
- (Made) PTO1034 phase 2 - Deposit Document - Shoeburyness Junction Protections
- PTO1046 - Kursaal Ward Junction Protection
- Cost of Care Report for 65+ Care Homes
- Cost of Care Report for Home Care (18+)
- PTO1028 - Southchurch Ward Junction Protections
- Hosting an event on council land - Event Managment Plan - part 1
- Hosting an event on council land - Event Managment Plan - part 2
- PTO1050 Chalkwell Ward Junction Protection
- Ward profiles
- Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) Map
- PTO1042.P3 - Deposit document - Balfairs Ward Junction Protection
- PTO1020.P2 - Desposit document - West Leigh Ward Junction Protection
- (Advert) PTO1060 - Deposit Document - Fees and Charges 2023-2024
- School appeal form secondary school - This form will be available online soon.
- (Advert) PTO1053 - Deposit Document - Bus Stop Extension, Western Esplanade
- (Made) PTO 1032.P1 - Deposit Document - Blenheim Park Junction Protection Phase 1
- (Made) PTO1013 - Deposit Document - Ashburnham Road and Rayleigh Road (Service Road)
- Market Sustainability Plan 2023
- (Made) PTO1060 - Deposit Document - Parking Fees and Charges 2023-2024
- Our spending over £500 2023
- (Made) PTO1026 - Deposit Document - St Laurence Ward Junction Protection
- (Made) PTO1055 - Deposit Document - Bournes Green School
- PTO1067 – Zone 1A Operational Hours
- PTO1072 Newlands Road and Salisbury Avenue – Junction
- PTO1075 – Belfairs Drive
- Statement of Accounts 2020-2021
- External Audit ISA 260 report 2020-2021
- External Audit Annual Report 2020-2021
- Notice of Conclusion of Audit of Accounts 2020-2021
- Public Spaces Protection Order (Southend Town Centre, Seafront and Adjoining Areas) No. 1 of 2022
- Car cruise PSPO final order 2023
- Statement of Accounts 2022-2023 Pre Audit
- Public Inspection Notice - Statement of Accounts 2022-23 (Word file, linked in the document folder Our Budget and Financial Processes)
- Notice of disposal of open land - download area
- PTO1058 - Deposit document Bournes Green School
- PTO1064 (Zone MW) - Deposit Document
- PTO1061 - Deposit Document - London Road - Queensway Roundabout to High Street
- PTO1063 – Lucy Road and Herbert Grove - Parking Controls – Southend-on-Sea City Council
- PTO1053 – Bus stop upgrade, Western Esplanade
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Some text is written in language that is not plain English. We are reviewing all content and by September 2020, all on-page content will comply with WCAG 2.1 AA.
Interactive tools and transactions
Our forms are built and hosted through third party software and skinned to look like our website. These are found on the my.southend.gov.uk domain.
We have assessed the cost of fixing the issues with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. We will make another assessment when the supplier contract is up for renewal, likely to be in 2021.
Content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and council policies. We plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they are not essential to providing our services.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
What we are doing to improve accessibility
We have already relaunched the website on to an improved and accessible platform.
The roadmap to becoming fully accessible is as follows
- relaunch site to fix back-end accessibility issues (complete)
- ensuring body copy of web pages are in plain English (partially compliant as at June 2020)
- removing non-essential pdfs and placing content on web pages where possible (partially compliant as at June 2020)
- ensuring new pdfs created after September 2020 are accessible
- ensuring new videos have subtitles
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 15 June 2020. It was last reviewed on 23 October 2020.
This site has not had a formal external accessibility audit.