Applying to Work at the Council
To make sure all interviews are fair at least two people will interview you. For Deputy Chief Executives and Director posts the selection will involve an interview with a panel of Elected Members.
If there are any tests or presentations as part of the interview you will be given details if you are shortlisted. All equipment will be provided.
Before we offer you a job you must:
- supply a reference of your current or previous employer
- tell us if you are related to a council employee or councillor
- tell us if you have any unspent convictions
- complete a medical questionnaire (you may also be asked to undergo a medical check)
- prove that you can work in the UK.
Politically restricted posts
If you are in a political position you may be restricted in what posts you can apply for within the council. This is under The Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
If this applies to the job you are applying for it will be made clear in the job description. This restriction means that for these certain posts you cannot:
- be a candidate or prospective candidate for election as an MP, MEP or Councillor
- hold office in a political party
- canvass at elections for a political party
- speak or write in public in a manner which appears to be designed to affect public support for a political party.
The National Fraud Initiative
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 we may also share the information you give with bodies that review and manage public funds. This is to detect and stop fraud.
We are required to provide particular sets of data to the Minister for the Cabinet Office for matching for each exercise, as detailed here
The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 1998.
For information about what we do with the information you supply on your application please see the Data Protection Act page.
Page last updated: 27/01/2017