Planning Advice and Guidance
Pre-Application Planning Advice for Agents/Developers
Due to resourcing issues and the upcoming holiday period we are temporarily suspending our discretionary pre-application planning advice service as of May 2017.
- Written advice only
- A meeting plus written advice
- A follow up meeting plus written advice
- Establish a clear understanding of the proposed development
- Give consideration to areas of improvement
- Advise which local/national policy(ies) will apply to your proposal
- Confirm what type of permission is required
- Identify specific information that must be submitted with an application form
- Minimise any unnecessary delays allowing your application to be dealt with as quickly as possible
- Ensure a higher quality of development is delivered throughout the borough
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post to Southend Borough Council, PO Box 5557, Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend on Sea, SS2 6ZF
We aim to provide our advice in writing within:
- 10 working days following a meeting
- 20 working days for written advice requests only
When the response requires additional advice from other Council services and on occasion preliminary views from Planning Committee Members this may cause a delay. If this occurs we will keep you informed.
The fee is non-refundable and can be paid by:
- Cheque made payable to Southend Borough Council
- By Credit or Debit card over the phone
Definitions relating to Charges
Large scale Major Development
- All development over 100 residential units or on sites greater than 2 hectares in area
- All other uses where new floorspace proposed will be over 5000 m2 or on sites greater than 2 hectares in area
Small scale Major Development
- All residential development between 10 to 99 dwelling, or a site area of 0.5 hectares but less than 2 hectares
- All other uses where new floor space proposed is over 1000sqm but less than 5000 m2 or on sites greater than 1 hectare but less than 2 hectares in area
- All residential development of 1 to 9 proposed new dwellings
- All other uses where change of use or new floor space is proposed up to 999 m2 or on sites less than 1 hectare
Extensions/alterations to dwellings
- All applications to enlarge improve or alter an existing dwelling including boundary walls/fences or to carry out operations in the curtilage that are ancillary to the dwelling use.
Any advice provided by the Council in relation to pre-application enquiries will be based on the case officer’s professional judgement.
Their opinion will be given in good faith and will not constitute a formal response or decision of the Council.
Neither will it guarantee or supply a definitive undertaking as to whether the proposal is likely to be approved or refused.
Any future planning applications received based on pre-application advice will be subject to wider consultation and publicity.
Decisions are only made after consultations with adjoining occupiers, statutory bodies and other interested parties and a detailed assessment of the facts of the case.
The final decision on planning applications is made either by Council Members via the Planning Committee, or by using delegated powers.
Where pre-application advice is not followed, subsequent planning applications are likely to be determined without further negotiations.
Once the Council has registered and commenced work on the enquiry there shall be no refund of the fee.
Freedom of Information Act 2000
Page last updated: 03/11/2017