Volunteer with Southend Libraries
Bookstart is a national scheme which encourages parents to share books with their children from an early age.
We are looking for volunteers with an enthusiasm for books and a desire to give the children of Southend a head start. To apply please fill in our bookstart volunteering form found in our related downloads at the bottom of this page.
Home Library Service
Our libraries offer a free home delivery scheme. This means that if you have trouble visiting our libraries we can deliver books (large and ordinary print), audio books, videos, DVDs and more directly to your door.
Every two weeks trained volunteers makes sure that 260 people across the town can continue to enjoy their library service.A few facts about volunteering:
- Volunteers with the Home Library Service visit people with disabilities, older people and carers who cannot easily use their local library.
- Volunteers are teamed up in pairs and visit customers in the same part of town every two weeks.
- The service is organised by Library Community Services, who give full training and support to library volunteers.
- Due to the physical nature of the service (i.e. lifting boxes and books) volunteers should be able to cope with this aspect of the work.
- Volunteers use their own cars to deliver the books and we pay them a mileage allowance.
For a free factsheet and application form please call us or email at email@example.com .
To get involved please call 01702 356060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Storyrhymes sessions are to introduce children from birth to four years old to the magic of stories and rhymes.
If you enjoy sharing stories and rhymes with young children and would like to lead any of our storyrhymes sessions please fill in our storyrhymes volunteering form found in our related downloads at the bottom of this page.
Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer
Southend Libraries are looking for volunteers aged 14 or over to help children keep reading in the summer holidays. Have fun, gain new skills and it’s great for your CV.
We are looking for volunteers who can commit to a minimum of 15 hours from Saturday 18th July to Saturday 29th August 2015.
As a volunteer you will help library staff:
• Join children to the Summer Reading Challenge.
• Talk to children (mainly aged 4-11) about their books.
• Hand out stickers and rewards.
Closing date for applications is Friday 5 June 2015
For more information and to apply please click on Related Downloads below.
Southend Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
Page last updated: 23/02/2015