Documents and Legal Formalities

For Civil Ceremonies and Religious Ceremonies in Non-Church of England/Church in Wales Premises

You and your partner need to give Notice of Marriage in person to the Registration Officer. There are nationally set fees applicable in all circumstances.

The Registration Officer will need to see:

  • Two forms of identification (a current valid full passport is preferred). If you don’t have a valid passport, then you will need to bring two other forms of identification, one of which should be your full birth certificate.
  • If you have been married before, you should bring a decree absolute bearing the court's original stamp, or the death certificate of your former spouse.
  • If the divorce was granted in a foreign country, you need to bring the original final divorce document, together with a full translation.
  • Proof of address such as a utility bill no more than three months old, or a bank statement which is no more than one month old.

You might be asked for other documents, and photocopies are not accepted.

Once the notice of marriage has been given, it will be on the public notice board for 28 days. If all documentation has been received and cleared, you will get an authority for your marriage to proceed on the 29th day.

You will need to have at least two other people who will witness the marriage and sign the marriage register.

If you have made a (provisional) booking for a marriage in advance, you must give formal notice to the Registration Officer once you are legally able to do so and within the time arranged with the Registration Officer.

Registration Officers have a statutory duty to report any marriage they suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading the statutory immigration controls.

Please note your marriage cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed.

To make a provisional booking for a marriage please use our online form.

Page last updated: 11/04/2018