Tell Us Once Service: When Someone Has Died
This service is to help you contact all of the different organisations and council departments you need to notify when a loved one has passed away.
Information you will need to use the service
When you register a death, it is helpful if you can bring with you the following information about the person who has passed away:
- their National Insurance Number and date of birth
- details of any benefits or services they received
- their driving licence or driving licence number
- their passport or passport number and the town/country of birth.
We can then notify the following organisations and departments:
- Council Housing
- Council Tax
- Blue Badges
- Adult Services
- Children's Services
- Collection of payment for council services
- Electoral services
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Passport Office
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
How we will treat the information you give us
The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.
Page last updated: 07/03/2017