Hosting an Event on Council Land
About Events in Southend
Southend-on-Sea is a great place to host an event with a diverse range of locations available. From our world famous Pier and 7 miles of seafront with fantastic views over the estuary, the town centre, to parks of all shapes and sizes across the Borough.
Events can help to support Southend-on-Sea’s economy and cultural offer creating a dynamic and vibrant atmosphere throughout the whole borough that visitors and residents can enjoy.
With annual visitor numbers reaching over six million, we want to make sure that there is something for everyone to enjoy whilst ensuring their safety.
Hosting an Event
Before an event takes place, all events held on Council land within Southend-on-Sea must:
- be authorised by us and have an Event Permit issued
- have in place valid Public Liability Insurance of no less than £5million
- in addition some events may also require licences form other authorities under different legislation/regulations
To seek approval, a fully completed Application Form and Event Management Plan must be submitted along with any supporting information.
These must be received (dependant on the nature of the event) at least 6 months or 8 weeks in advance of the proposed event, please refer to the Application form.
There is also an Application fee payable on submission, please refer to the Council Fees & Charges.
Planning an Event
We’re happy to help and support you throughout the application process and we highly recommend you talk with us well in advance to help make sure everything runs as smoothly and safely as possible.
Please make sure you have read the:
We can then answer any queries you may have and advise you on your responsibilities and our requirements. We will also be able to confirm the availability of locations you may want to use.
Locations Available to Hire
Within our Town Centre, Seafront Areas and Parks there are a range of sites available to hire. Please refer to the Council Fees & Charges.
If you have specific reasons for wanting a site not listed, please contact us before you plan or apply for your event. We’ll look into whether your preferred site can be hired.
Please note, during February half term to October half term periods, events on our busy seafront between Kursaal and Shorefield Road that propose car parking restrictions and or road closures won’t be permitted.
How to Apply
Please download and edit both the Application Form and Event Management Plan.
Once you have fully completed all information please:
- Email both the Application Form and Event Management Plan to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01702 215005 (select option 1) to make payment for the Application Fee. Alternatively send a cheque payable to Southend Borough Council with the Event Name and Event Organiser’s name on the reverse
Please note: Applications can’t be progressed until the application form, Event Management Plan and fee are received.
Additional pages are available below for the following Appendix:
- Event Management Plan – Appendix L Food Hygiene Declaration
- Event Management Plan – Appendix G Events Schedule
- Event Management Plan – Appendix F Participants List
For further advice and guidance please visit Health & Safety Executive - Running an Event Safely.
Page last updated: 14/08/2017