Driveway Markings (H Bar)
White line road markings for driveways (H-Bar) are lines that are marked on the road to show drivers that they should not block access to off-road parking areas. The line goes across the driveway and approximately one metre either side.
The marking is provided to highlight the presence of a driveway, the marking is not provided to reserve a parking space on the highway and if vehicles are seen to be regularly parked on the marking, it will be removed and no refund provided.
- You can apply for an H-Bar marking or an extension to an existing H-Bar if you have a driveway or dropped kerb outside your home or business.
- The H-Bar has no legal force, although drivers parking on the marking can be charged with obstruction by the Council if overhanging any part of the lowered kerb/driveway itself.
The cost for the H-Bar is £115.00 including VAT.
To get an H-Bar, the site must:
- Be for 12 or more parking spaces; or
- Be used regularly by a Blue Badge Holder. (Please enclose a copy of your Blue Badge with your application form); and
- Not have any yellow lines or zig-zag lines on the road.
How to apply
To apply for an H-Bar please download the Driveway Protection Marking (H-Bar) application form and return it to us:Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
If you are a Blue Badge Holder, please remember to enclose a copy of your Blue Badge with your application.
After you have applied
- Once we have received your application we will inspect the site and inform you of our decision.
- If we decide that we cannot complete the H-Bar Marking, you will receive a refund and the reason for the refusal.
Maintenance of H-Bars
- We do not maintain H-Bars. If your H-Bar has faded, the cost of the remarking is £60.00.
Page last updated: 12/08/2014