There are no changes to the weekly Recycling and Waste collection following the Bank Holiday.

Driveway Markings (H Bar)

White line road markings for driveways (H-Bar) are lines that are marked on the road to show drivers that they should not block access to off-road parking areas. The line goes across the driveway and approximately one metre either side.

The marking is provided to highlight the presence of a driveway, the marking is not provided to reserve a parking space on the highway and if vehicles are seen to be regularly parked on the marking, it will be removed and no refund provided. 

  • You can apply for an H-Bar marking or an extension to an existing H-Bar if you have a driveway or dropped kerb outside your home or business.
  • The H-Bar has no legal force, although drivers parking on the marking can be charged with obstruction by the Council if overhanging any part of the lowered kerb/driveway itself.

The cost for the H-Bar is £115.00 including VAT.

To get an H-Bar, the site must:

  • Be for 12 or more parking spaces; or
  • Be used regularly by a Blue Badge Holder. (Please enclose a copy of your Blue Badge with your application form); and
  • Not have any yellow lines or zig-zag lines on the road.

How to apply

To apply for an H-Bar please download the Driveway Protection Marking (H-Bar) application form and return it to us:

Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
Civic Centre
Victoria Avenue

If you are a Blue Badge Holder, please remember to enclose a copy of your Blue Badge with your application.

After you have applied

  • Once we have received your application we will inspect the site and inform you of our decision.
  • If we decide that we cannot complete the H-Bar Marking, you will receive a refund and the reason for the refusal.

Maintenance of H-Bars

  • We do not maintain H-Bars. If your H-Bar has faded, the cost of the remarking is £85.00.


Page last updated: 04/04/2017