Information about Parking Fines
Please note if you wish to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), you can make your challenge using our online form. Please note that as challenges to PCN's involves considerations under a legal process, we can only consider your comments in writing, we are not able to verbally discuss any Penalty Charge Notices. Photographs are taken at the time the PCN is issued and these can be viewed online 24 hours after the PCN is issued. Please note that there are occasions where photographs are not taken for example, when the motorist returns to the vehicle.
If you challenge your PCN, your case will be placed in a queue for consideration. No action will be taken or further charges applied until we have considered your comments and responded to you in writing. We appreciate your patience as this process can take between 4 to 6 weeks and even longer during busy periods.
Our Mobile CCTV vehicles and Civil Enforcement Officers (Traffic Wardens) will take a photograph of your vehicle.
If your vehicle is found to be parked illegally, you will receive a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice PCN).
Charging will change depending where you have parked and why you have been given a parking fine.
If you pay your parking fine within 14 days of receiving it, you will get a discount of 50%
- If you do not pay within 28 days, we will send you a reminder
- If you do not pay within 28 days of receiving the reminder, the cost will increase by 50%
- If you do not pay within 42 days of receiving the reminder, we will register the debt at court
Parking fines are issued for:
- Parking on yellow lines or where waiting or loading restrictions are in force
- Parked, loading or unloading in a restricted street
- Parking without clearly displaying a valid ticket
- Parked longer than permitted
- Return to the same parking place within the prescribed time (as shown on the traffic sign) of leaving the parking place
- Parking in a specially reserved bay, e.g. a loading place, a disabled bay, permit holder bay or taxi rank unless you are authorised to do so
- Parking at a bus stop during prohibited hours
- Parking outside of a marked parking bay
How to pay your parking fine
If you pay your parking fine within 14 days of receiving it, you will get a discount of 50%.
Note: For non-UK residents you will need to pay your parking fine using our Automated Payment Service on 08702 406650.
You can pay your parking fine online with a credit or debit card. You will not be able to use Diners Card or American Express.
Telephone 0870 2406650 – you will need to have your PCN number and credit or debit card details.
Calls are charged at the National Rate as charged by your telephone provider.
You will not be charged a surcharge for this payment if paying by credit or debit card.
Make your cheque or postal order payable to Southend-on-Sea Borough Council. Write the PCN number overleaf on the reverse. Fill in the slip attached to the Notice and enclose it with your payment.
For Credit or Debit card payments made by Mastercard, Visa or Delta fill in the slip attached to the Notice.
Please do not send cash through the post. No cash can be accepted at the Council Offices. Post dated cheques will not be accepted.
Page last updated: 05/07/2018