Pay Your Business Rates
Why not register today for MySouthend, our online facility designed to make your life easier. You can view your Non Domestic Rates bills, make payments, view your account details, payment dates and notifications as well as other online services.
The Chancellor’s Budget 8th March 2017
In the March 2017 Budget, the Chancellor announced further support for businesses facing significant increases in bills from the English business rates system. This includes:
- Support for small businesses losing Small Business Rate Relief to limit increases in their bills to the greater of £600 each year
- Support providing English local authorities with funding to support £300 million of discretionary relief, to allow them to provide support to individual hardship cases in their local area.
- The government will also introduce a £1,000 business rate discount for public houses with a rateable value of up to £100,000, subject to state aid limits for businesses with multiple properties, for one year from 1 April 2017.
Please be aware that we are still awaiting further details/instructions from Central Government on the administration of these schemes, and therefore any changes are not yet reflected in the business rate demands for 2017/2018, dated 10th March 2017.
Please therefore make payments in accordance with the 2017/2018 demand. Anyone affected by the changes will be contacted and issued with adjusted demands as appropriate.
Pay Your Business Rates
You can ask (via telephone, letter or email) to pay your business rates either:
- quarterly (1st April, 1st July, 1st October and 1st January)
- biannually (1st April and 1st October)
- annually (1st April)
- 12 monthly instalments (April - March)
If you pay by Direct Debit we automatically claim the monthly instalment due from your bank account.
To set up a direct debit you can either:
- use our online application form
- download the form found in related downloads and follow the instructions on the form.
Online or on the Phone
Payments can be made by credit card and debit card over the phone and online. We accept:
- Visa (not Visa Electron)
To pay by debit/credit card over the phone either:
- call the 24 hour payment line on 08702 406650
- call us directly during office hours and one of our officers will help.
To pay online please use the relevant online form.
Credit card payments incur a 1.5% surcharge.
Send a cheque (made payable to Southend Council) along with a letter quoting your full name, address and account number to:Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
PO Box 21
Essex SS2 6AN
You are likely to be charged an extra fee for paying at the Post Office or bank.
To pay at the Post Office complete a 'Transcash' slip and pay your money at their counter. The payment can take 7 days for us to receive, so you should pay your bill earlier to ensure that we get the payment on time.
To pay at the bank simply take a copy of your Business Rates Bill (or just a note of your account number, our bank account details and the instalment amount) to the bank and they should sort out the payment.
Page last updated: 09/03/2017