Applying for a Blue Badge
To apply free of charge and track progress of your application for a Blue Badge please visit the GOV.UK website.
Please beware of other sites available where a fee may be charged to assist with a Blue Badge Application.
In addition to the documents showing how you qualify please also supply the following (Please do not send original documents, copies are accepted):
One of the following must be submitted with your application as proof of identity:
- your birth or adoption certificate
- marriage or divorce certificate
- civil partnership or dissolution certificate
- valid driving licence or passport
One of the following must be submitted with your application (these must show your name and address):
- council tax bill
- valid driving licence
- housing benefit award letter
- benefit award letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
You will not need to submit your Council Tax bill if you have ticked the appropriate box on the application form. This gives us your consent for us to check your address on our Council Tax records or electoral register.
If you are completing the application form on behalf of someone under the age of 16, please give us consent to check school records to confirm their address.
How to pay for my Blue Badge
Once your application has been approved we will contact you to make payment.
Payment can be made as follows:
- by cheque - made payable to Southend-on-Sea City Council
- credit or debit card
We do not accept cash payments.
We can refuse to issue a badge if we have reason to believe that you are not who you claim to be or that you would permit someone else to display the badge on their vehicle.
Please enclose one recent passport-style and quality photo of the applicant taken within the month prior to the date of application.
- photos used for Blue Badges should be in 45mm high by 35mm wide
- when applying online via Gov.uk you can upload a digital photograph
- if completing a paper application, please write your name clearly on the back of the photo
- if you are unable to access a photo booth you may provide a suitable clear photo taken by other means that can be cut down to an appropriate size. No other person should be visible in the photo
- photos do not need to be provided for organisational badges. Organisational badges should include the organisation's stamp or logo in the space provided on the badge
The photo must:
- be in sharp focus and clear with a plain light grey or cream background
- be a close-up of your head and shoulders, facing forward, so that you can be easily identified
- be looking straight at the camera
- show you with neutral expression and your mouth closed (no grinning, frowning or smiling/laughing)
- be taken with your eyes open and clearly visible (no sun glasses, tinted lenses or hair across the eyes)
- be free from reflection or glare on your glasses and frames must not cover the eyes
- Show your full head without head covering, unless you wear one for religious beliefs or medical reasons
- Show you on your own with no other people in the photo
Please note: Photos are non-returnable
What do I do if my Blue Badge application has been turned down?
If you are not eligible for a Blue Badge under the ‘Eligible subject to Further Assessment', Access Independent will notify you of this in writing. If you wish to appeal the decision you must reply in writing to Access Independent and provide new information about the severity of the conditions you told us about in the original application. If you do not provide new information your appeal will be declined.
Please note that you have 4 weeks from the date of the decision letter to appeal.
The following types of information can be accepted:
- consultant or physiotherapists reports
- receipt of meals on wheels
- proof of disabled living allowance
- attendance at a day centre
- assistance of a social services carer
- psychiatric reports
You may send more than one piece of information to assist Access Independent in considering your appeal.
To apply free of charge and track progress of your application for a Blue Badge please visit the GOV.UK website. Alternatively if you are unable to apply online please contact 01702 215003 to request a paper application form.