The rules which control demolition work can be found in Sections 80-83 of the Building Act 1984 (The Act).

If you are planning to start demolition works, you must put in writing a notice to the Council under Section 80 of the Act. Generally, this section applies to all demolition works whether this be a full or part demolition of a building. The application must be submitted at least six weeks before the work is due to start.

No demolition works should be started unless the Council has given a notice under Section 81 or six weeks have passed since giving notification to the Council as to the intention to start demolition works.

Section 81 notices from the council may require a person to carry out certain works, including those intended:

  • to ensure the stability and weather resistance of any adjacent building
  • the condition in which the site is to be left
  • the sealing or disconnection of drainage and other services and conditions subject to which the demolition is to be undertaken

Section 81 notices will also state the need for a person to notify the council before certain works are carried out on site.

Section 80 - Notice of intention to Demolish.

Please contact Building Control for further information.

Contact Building Control

Telephone: 01702 215345

Go to top