Make a building regulations application

There are three types of Building Control applications - Building Notices, Building Control Approval with Full Plans and regularisation.

1. Application for Building Control Approval with Full Plans

A full plans application must be made when there is a proposal to carry out building works to:

  • a building which is not a single family dwelling house
  • erect a building fronting a private street
  • construct over or within 3 metres of a public sewer

The change to extend the types of property needing a full plans application is the result of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRO). This requires plans of building work for most buildings to be sent to the fire authority for formal consultation.

2. Building notice application

If your building work does not affect the layout of the building and is not affected by RRO, you can submit a building notice instead of a full plans application.

As plans are not formally approved, our surveyors will check the regulations at site inspections, however, you lose the assurance of building in accordance with approved plans and there may be delays to your project if work is found not to comply.

You are required to provide the plans if we decide we need them to determine if the work complies with the building regulations. This will always be the case where a change in layout of any building is proposed. We will attempt to comment on your drawings in the same timescales as for full plans applications.

3. Regularisation application

Where unauthorised work has been completed the building owner may apply for a certificate to regularise the work. Depending on the circumstances, exposure, removal and/or rectification of works may be necessary to establish compliance with the building regulations.

4. Higher risk buildings

If you want to work on a higher-risk building, you need to apply to the Building Safety Regulator.

5. Charges

Please view the Councils Fees and Charges document for details of our fees and charges.

6. Electronic submissions

We encourage you to submit your application electronically online (including payment), all you need are electronic copies of your drawings.

In order to use our online forms, you must be registered with MySouthend. You only need to register once, then you will be able to keep track of your application(s) past and present from submission to decision.

Submit a Building Control Approval with Full Plans application or Building Notice

Submit a Regularisation Application (for retrospective applications)

7. Main benefits of online submissions

  • free of any additional charge
  • open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • no printing or postage necessary
  • simple to register and submit applications
  • applications can be managed and tracked online

To submit an application to our Building Control Service, why not register now? You can then complete your Building Notice or Building Control Approval with Full Plans Building Regulation application form, attach the relevant drawings and documents and then submit your application to us.

Please note that at least one accurate dimension is required on the plans you submit, in order for the system to scale your application.

Please also note that the relevant correct charge will need to be paid before we can validate your application. Please view the Councils Fees and Charges document for details of our fees and charges.

You are advised that approval under Building Regulations should always be sought prior to carrying out building works.

However, if works have been carried out without seeking approval you are advised to discuss the matter with a Building Control Officer to establish whether a Building Regulations Application is appropriate.

Contact Building Control

Telephone: 01702 215345

Go to top