Milton Conservation Area Article 4 Direction
Some minor works to houses which would normally be classed as "permitted development" which means that they can be done without the need for planning permission have resulted in unsuitable changes which have harmed Milton’s historic character. Therefore the Milton Article 4 Direction has been made, with the support of residents, withdrawing some of these rights. This enables the Council to control aspects of the exterior of houses which are important to the historic character of the building and the wider conservation area. Planning Permission from the Council is now needed for the following types of permitted development at properties listed below.
Milton Conservation Area Article 4 Direction applies to:
- Park Road, Westcliff (all properties except 1-3 odd, 2-12 even)
- Parkgate, Westcliff (all properties)
- Park Crescent, Westcliff (all properties)
- Avenue Road, Westcliff (all properties except 81-93 odd, 66-68 even)
- Avenue Terrace, Westcliff (all properties)
- St. Vincent's Road, Westcliff (all properties)
- Milton Road, Westcliff (Avenue Baptist Church)
Alterations requiring permission
- The alteration of any window which fronts a highway.
- The rendering of any brickwork which fronts a highway (other forms of cladding already need planning permission).
- Re-roofing with different materials
- The installation of a hardstanding for vehicles.
Please note if your property is a flat or a commercial building and not a house there are no permitted development rights relating to the above alterations and so planning permission will also be required for these works.
Alteration to all buildings:
- The painting over facing brickwork of any part of a building which fronts a highway.
No fee is needed for a planning application required by the Direction (i.e. houses). Planning Application forms can be downloaded from this website.
All development in Milton should respect the features outlined above which contribute to its special character. It is always advisable to check with the Council if planning permission is needed before undertaking any works to the exterior of a property or any works to a listed building in the conservation area.
The updated Milton Conservation Area appraisal (adopted March 2022), makes a recommendation to update the Article 4 direction for this area, and work is underway to review this, although currently the Milton Article 4 direction is as per the information provided above.
Article 4 Direction map (see page 91)