How to Appeal Against Your Council Tax Band

If you move into a property and believe that the Council Tax banding is wrong, you have 6 months to appeal.

Grounds for making an appeal are:

  • you believe the property should not be in the valuation list
  • you believe the property should be included in the valuation list
  • that the property is in the wrong band
  • your property has become, or is no longer, a business premises, or part of your property is now used or no longer used for business purposes
  • a relevant Valuation Tribunal or High Court decision has not been taken into account by the Valuation Office Agency in determining your property's band value

To make an appeal you should be one of the following:

  • the owner of the property
  • a person liable to pay council tax for the property
  • where the property is exempt from Council Tax, the person who would otherwise have been liable to pay

Appeals must be made to the Valuation Office Agency or call them on 03000 501 501 for more advice.

You must still pay your Council Tax while your appeal is being considered by the VOA.

If you do not pay your Council Tax, recovery action will be taken.

Contact Council Tax

Telephone: 01702 215001

Go to top
Rating button
Rating Button